You’ve probably heard buzz about the new ‘Performance Max Campaign’, so we’re here to give you the in’s and outs of what it is and how to get on board.
The Performance Max Campaign is a smart, new type of goal-based campaign that aims to complement a typical Search campaign.
Performance Max helps merchants to find more converting customers across all of Google's channels like Display, YouTube, Search, Gmail, Maps, and Discover. It also helps to improve ad performance based on specified conversion goals, by optimizing campaigns in real-time, and across channels using Smart Bidding.
Google Ads automation uses machine learning to find potential customers and serve the most appropriate ad, with the optimal bid, to maximize campaign performance.
If you’re thinking about diving in, here’s some data you’ll need to provide Google with:
- Marketing goals
- Creative assets (text, images, or video)
- Feeds (it’s optional): Google Merchant Center, Business data feeds, Dynamic Ads feed,
- Google My Business.
- Audiences (optional)
When it comes to objectives, Performance Max Campaigns can only work with advertising objectives such as: “Website traffic“, “Sales”, “Leads”, “Local store visits and promotions”. Merchants can also create a campaign without a goal’s guidance.
As previously stated, Performance Max complements your existing Search campaigns and respects your initial keyword targeting, thus, Search campaigns will always be prioritized over Performance Max.
If you’re curious about implementing, here’s our guide on when to use Performance Max:
- If an advertiser doesn’t have enough time to optimize for each channel.
- If you have a tight budget and you want to access all of Google’s advertising channels using one, single campaign.
- If you have an unlimited budget and want to discover new, unexpected customer segments.
- You have specific conversion goals (lead generation, online sales, etc).
- You want to get additional reach and conversion value beyond your Search campaigns
Still on the fence about taking the leap? Here are some benefits of Performance Max Campaigns:
- Help merchants find new customers across different channels.
- Simplify campaign creation & management with the help of automation and AI.
- Drive better performance against your goals.
- Create new insights and reporting such as: rising search trends.
- Help merchants understand changes in performance to inform a broader business strategy.
Ultimately, Performance Max Campaigns take responsive ads and smart campaigns to the next level, combining these tried and true features into one effective, streamlined ad space.